Ok so I finally watched the pilot episode for the new show Riverdale, and I’m already emotionally invested. I was a huge fan of Archie comics as a kid, I even listened to the old radio shows on O.T.R. Cat. (I was team Veronica all the way) I was hesitant to watch the new show, because I’m getting very tired of the “edgy/dark version of everything” trend that’s going on in TV and movies. (look at Alice in Wonderland, or the Christopher Nolan Batman films) While there were some things that had me rolling my eyes, overall, it seems to be a promising show!
Let’s start off positive, so here are some pros!
- I like all of the actors so far. I think Camila Mendes does a great job landing Veronica’s sharp personality, and Lili Reinhart counteracts that and plays the typical girl next door character very well.
- There seems to be a good amount of diversity. Veronica is Latina, Pop and the Pussycats are black, Reggie is asian, and hopefully they’ll add Chuck and Nancy too!
- ALL OF THE PUSSYCATS ARE BLACK!!! Josie is so ambitious and wants to create a brand for her band. I love that! her line, “Read my glossed lips, Justin Gingerlake. Not. Gonna. Happen.” I am in love!
- Veronica’s eyebrows
- Though I side eye the whole edgy direction, I do love shows with small towns that seem like the perfect american community, that have darkness lurking in every corner. (Like Bates Motel)
- they have all of the high school tropes
- I really loved the small town retro aesthetics. It seems like the town hasn’t changed since the 5os’. Which makes Riverdale seem like it’s in a bubble, cut off from the rest of the world.
- The clothes! Every outfit can easily tell you something about the characters, or give you a great feel for their personality. For example, the all white outfits and red shoes the Blossom twins wear at the beginning of the episode give a feeling that everything about them seems perfect, and nice, but they aren’t.
- They included Kevin! Archie Comic’s first openly gay character!!
- Cheryl Blossom is actually The Worst
- Veronica reading Cheryl for filth, all while confirming to Betty that she has a friend in her. “Betty and I are a matching set. You want one, you take us both.”
- The slight possibility that Betty and Veronica might be bisexual. (that’s probably not gonna happen, we’re just gonna be queerbaited to death)
Alright, now for some cons, most of these are cons because I know the comics:
- MS. GRUNDY IS LITERALLY A 5O YEAR OLD SASSY LIT TEACHER IN THE COMICS, AND THEY MADE HER INTO SOME WEIRD YOUNG TEACHER WHO GOES AROUND DRINKING SLURPEES WITH HEART SHAPED SUNGLASSES WHILE BANGING HER STUDENTS IN THE BACK OF HER OLD RETRO CAR LIKE SHE’S IN A LANA DEL REY VIDEO???? (this is the biggest thing I’m mad at oh my GOD) Not only is this super illegal and damaging, but like, why is it needed???
- Jughead was a sarcastic comic relief who ate literally anything. Now he’s this edgy emo who’s not friends with Archie. I feel like they took this whole thing a lil far with that. I did like him narrating, but my GOD did I roll my eyes whenever I saw him. (fingers crossed they keep him asexual!)
- While I love they included Kevin, I hope he’s more than just “fun gay friend”. They have a lot they could do with his character, especially since Moose is sneaking around with him.
- Cheryl Blossom is literally The Worst
- From the first episode, it seems like there’s A LOT happening, so the show kind of seems all over the place.
- Archie’s whole High School Musical inner turmoil with himself. (His head’s in the game, but his heart’s in the song)
- I want more Reggie Mantle being an annoying rich snob, not an annoying agro-male jock.
- We are going to be queerbaited to death with Betty and Veronica.
This is only the first episode, so I can’t have too much of an opinion about it, but so far, I really like it, and I can’t wait for this week’s episode!
More to come soon!